Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA

Resident Permit
In order to enter the country permanently, you will need a valid passport and (depending on the country) an entry visa. Residence permits are issued by the official representation (embassy or consulate) of the country concerned in Switzerland. Generally speaking, retirees are required to demonstrate that they possess adequate financial resources as well as health insurance cover.
Foreign Representations in Switzerland
Thanks to the bilateral agreements between Switzerland and the EU, Swiss nationals are not treated as foreigners within the EU and EFTA. They can enter the member states with an identity card and register as permanent residents.
Start of page

Last update 19.07.2019
The FDFA online
Switzerland's foreign policy
Switerland's policy on Europe
Development and Cooperation
Switzerland's contribution to the enlarged EU
International Police Missions of Switzerland
Agenda 2030
Social media channels
Swiss representations abroad
Federal Administration online
Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA
Terms and conditions