Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA

Working abroad
In almost every country in the world, foreign nationals who want to live and work there have to obtain a work permit. As a rule, a work permit will only be issued if an employment contract has been concluded and the employer can demonstrate that it has not been possible to fill the vacancy via the domestic labour market. However, for Swiss citizens this does not apply within the EU thanks to the conclusion of the bilateral agreements.

On the following pages you will find comprehensive information that is intended to help you look for and take up gainful employment abroad.
Job search
How to procede and submit an application for a successful job search
Employment contracts
Important advice concerning employment contracts abroad.
Diplomas, certificates, references
Preconditions and procedures to have diplomas and degrees recognised
Mobility in Europe
Free movement of persons and cross-border mobility in Europe
Start of page

Last update 27.11.2017
Relations with the Swiss Abroad
Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern
Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33
Print contact information
The FDFA online
Switzerland's foreign policy
Switerland's policy on Europe
Development and Cooperation
Switzerland's contribution to the enlarged EU
International Police Missions of Switzerland
Agenda 2030
Social media channels
Swiss representations abroad
Federal Administration online
Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA
Terms and conditions