Comments and contributions provided by registered users of the Ethnologue represent the views of those users and are not endorsed or attested to by the Ethnologue or SIL International. Registered users are expected to abide by the Ethnologue User Community Norms
. If you violate those norms, we generally will bring that to your attention gently. We reserve the right to delete offensive comments at any time. Repeated violations of those norms may result in cancellation of the registered user’s subscription.
Types Of Information We Collect
The following provides examples of the types of information that we may collect from you and why.
Use Of Information Collected
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we may use information in the following ways:
- To communicate with you: regarding the Ethnologue website, such as for administrative purposes, customer service purposes, or rights of privacy; or regarding an order or request you have submitted on the website.
- To provide and and personalize features and services of the website for you, such as by remembering your information so that you do not have to re-enter it.
- To help us understand how visitors interact with the website, so that we can continually improve the website, our services and product offerings.
- To conduct analytics, including through Google Analytics, to know how the website is used.
- To respond to inquiries related to support or other requests.
- To send marketing and promotional materials.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationships.
Our collection and processing of your information is different based upon your consent, our need to perform a contract, our obligations under law, and our legitimate interest in conducting business. Please know that we do not send unsolicited or “spam” e-mail, and we do not sell, rent or trade e-mail lists to third parties. However, we may disclose information in the following situations:
1. Affiliates. We may share information with our corporate affiliates (e.g., parent company, sister companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control).
2. Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties.
3. Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose information in connection with any legal process and to comply with relevant laws.
4. Public. Areas of our website provide the opportunity to post comments in a public forum. If you decide to submit information, that information may be publically available.
6. Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers. Among other things, service providers may help us to administer our website, provide technical support, and process payments.
You can make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access, Change or Delete Your Personal Information. If required by law, we will grant you reasonable access to personal information we have for you upon request to the address below. You may also update, correct, or delete your profile information and change your preferences at any time. We retain your information for a time period permitted by law for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. You may, however, request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at the address below.
- Objection to Certain Processing. You may object to our use or disclosure of your personal information by contacting us at the address described below.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to receive promotional emails. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service related communications.
- Promotional Mailings. If at any time you do not want to receive offers and/or circulars from us you can remove yourself from our mailing lists by emailing us with "NO SNAIL MAIL" in the subject line along with your name, address and zip code.
- Promotional Text Messages. If you receive a text message from us that contains promotional information you can opt-out of receiving future text messages by replying “STOP.”
- Revocation Of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information then we may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity.
How We Protect Personal Information
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also employ other physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of personally identifiable information in our control. Although we undertake all reasonable efforts to safeguard information, no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage, is fully secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information we will notify you in writing. We dispose of your personal information when we no longer need it to comply with our legal obligations or for a legitimate business purpose.
- Transmission Of Information To Other Countries. As a research institution and international organization, your information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws may be less stringent. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in a country other than your country of residence.
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own.
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd,
Dallas, TX 75236, USA, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with our response and are in the European Union, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
This web edition of the Ethnologue may be cited as: Eberhard, David M., Gary F. Simons, and Charles D. Fennig (eds.). 2021. Ethnologue: Languages of the World. Twenty-fourth edition. Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Online version: http://www.ethnologue.com.