Benghazi: Libya's new rulers today said they would prosecute the killers of ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi following the international outcry over the circumstances of his death.
"With regards to Gaddafi, we do not wait for anybody to tell us," said Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, vice chairman of the ruling National Transitional Council at a news conference in Benghazi.
Global disquiet has grown over how Gaddafi met his end at the hands of NTC fighters who hauled him out of a culvert where he was hiding following a NATO air strike. Reuters
"We had already launched an investigation. We have issued a code of ethics in handling of prisoners of war. I am sure that was an individual act and not an act of revolutionaries or the national army," the top interim official said.
"Whoever is responsible for that (Gaddafi's killing) will be judged and given a fair trial." The statement came as NATO weighed a possible new role in Libya following Gaddafi's controversial death, as France said the UN would vote on Thursday to end the alliance's mandate for an air war on 31 October.
Global disquiet has grown over how Gaddafi met his end at the hands of NTC fighters who hauled him out of a culvert where he was hiding following a NATO air strike. Mobile phone videos show him still alive at that point. Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin yesterday expressed his "disgust" at the global media for its graphic coverage of the ousted leader's death.
"Almost the entire Gaddafi family was killed. His body was shown on all the world channels. You could not watch without disgust," news agencies quoted Putin as saying.
"What is that?" Putin exclaimed. "They show a bloodied man, wounded, still alive but getting beaten to death. And they splash that all over the screen."