Cookies on GOV.UK
We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
View cookies
Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Guidance and support
Vehicle tax, MOT and insurance
Tax your vehicle
Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:
If you do not have any of these documents, you’ll need to apply for a new log book.
You can pay by debit or credit card, or Direct Debit.
You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay anything, for example if you’re exempt because you’re disabled.
You’ll need to meet all the legal obligations for drivers before you can drive.
This service is also available in Welsh.
Start now
More information
Other ways to apply
Change your car’s tax class to or from ‘disabled’
You may need to change your vehicle’s tax class, for example if either:
You can only apply at a Post Office.
DVLA vehicle tax service
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
24-hour service
Find out about call charges
You cannot pay by Direct Debit over the phone.
At a Post Office
Go to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You need to take either:
You will not need these payment details if your vehicle is exempt from tax.
You also need to take one of the following:
If you do not have any of these documents, you’ll need to apply for a new log book.
You might also need your MOT test certificate (it must be valid when the tax starts).
It can take up to 2 days for MOT information to be updated, so you might not be able to tax your vehicle immediately after it passes its test.
In Northern Ireland you also need an insurance certificate or cover note. These must be paper copies.
If the vehicle is off the road
Register that your vehicle is off the road, for example you’re keeping it in a garage. You do not need to tax your vehicle.
Related content
Check if a vehicle is taxed
Vehicle tax Direct Debit payments
Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)
Calculate tax rates for new cars
Cancel your vehicle tax and get a refund
Explore the topic
Vehicle tax, MOT and insurance
Is this page useful?
Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support
Check what you need to do
Services and information
BenefitsBirths, deaths, marriages and careBusiness and self-employedChildcare and parentingCitizenship and living in the UKCrime, justice and the lawDisabled peopleDriving and transportEducation and learningEmploying peopleEnvironment and countrysideHousing and local servicesMoney and taxPassports, travel and living abroadVisas and immigrationWorking, jobs and pensions
Departments and policy
How government works​Departments​Worldwide​Services​Guidance and regulationNews and communications​Research and statisticsPolicy papers and consultations​Transparency and freedom of information releases
Help Privacy Cookies Accessibility statementContact Terms and conditionsRhestr o Wasanaethau CymraegGovernment Digital Service
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated
© Crown copyright