What to Do if We Deny Your Claim for a Credit
More In Credits & Deductions
If we deny the claim you made for these credits on your tax return:
You may need to:
We could also ban you from claiming the EITC for 2 to 10 years
File Form 8862
If we denied or reduced your EITC for a tax year after 1996 (CTC, ACTC, ODC or AOTC for a tax year after 2015) for any reason other than a math or clerical error, you must include Form 8862, Information to Claim Certain Credits After Disallowance with your next tax return.
You don’t have to include the form with your next tax return, if:
Ban You from Claiming the EITC
You can’t claim the credits again for several years if we found that you previously tried to claim them against the rules. You can’t claim the credits for:
Related Links
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 06-Jan-2021
Privacy Policy