All Kitchener Public Library locations are currently open for curbside pickup only. Learn more
We are committed to providing an accessible environment for all our customers. For information regarding accessibility standards and services, please see
Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA)
CELA is a national non-profit organization established by Canadian public libraries to serve customers who have a visual, learning or physical disability that prevents them from reading conventional print. Our partnership with CELA allows our customers access to:
- formats including audio, Braille, e-text and described video
- a growing collection of more than 230,000 items including books, magazines, newspapers and described videos
Contact Megan Clare, Manager, Systems and Resources to find out if you are eligible, and to register as a CELA user.
Customers who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech restricted can contact us using TTY at 1-877-614-4832.
- Large print magazines and newspapers
- A dictionary and World Atlas in large print.
- Descriptive videos and DVDs
- DAISY Book audiobook format
- Daisy Book Readers
- Alternate formats for print materials will be provided, where possible, upon request.
An accessible computer is available at Central Library. Please call 519-743-0271 or TTY: 1-877-614-4832 to make a reservation.
Magnify or convert text to speech to search the Internet, check email, and read and write documents with the aid of several popular accessibility tools. Features include:
- 24-inch widescreen monitor
- JAWS screen reading software
- ZoomText Magnifier
- Dragon Dictate text-to-speech software
- User manuals in large print and Braille (available upon request)
Optima brand trackball that requires far less wrist and arm movement than a standard computer mouse, useful for people with mobility challenges.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
Helps customers with low vision to read, view pictures or see what they are writing. Magnify, highlight, change the contrast of the document, etc. For everything from reading to looking at photos to writing out and signing your cheques.
Provides personal hearing assistance when background noise or distance from the sound source makes listening difficult. Ideal for small groups, presentations or one-on-one personal assistance. To request an FM System, contact the library where the meeting or program is taking place at least three days in advance of the event.
Useful at home or on the go, the Explore 5 is a handheld electronic magnifier.
- Light-weight, portable and compact, with a 5 inch screen
- Bright, crisp image with the ability to magnify text 22 times.
- Easy, intuitive operation.
- Comfortable to hold and use for reading as it comes with a handle.
- Use it hands-free while reading a book, or adjust it straight out to hold over any object/text you want to magnify.
- Many customizable features depending on the borrower’s needs such as colour contrast, white on black, yellow on black
Light Therapy Lamps
Light therapy lamps have proven successful helping those suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
initiative provides seasonal access to light therapy lamps in the library. Lamps are available from October to March, at all Kitchener Public Library locations.
Currently, light therapy lamps are available by booking time at a Study Seat. You can reserve time here or call 519-743-0271 or TTY: 1-877-614-4832 to make a reservation.
Fines Exempt Status
People with disabilities may apply to have fine exempt status in accordance with the Circulation policies of the Kitchener Public Library Board.
Talking Books Patron Status
People who are unable to read print due to a visual, physical, or learning disability are eligible to apply for Talking Books Status.
, created by Magnusmode, are step-by-step skill guides created for people with autism, their families, and educators. Magnusmode provides a proven method of instruction and elements of game design to help people with cognitive needs build valuable life skills, including how to use the library.
To inspire and enrich for life
Telephone: 519-743-0271 TTY: 1-877-614-4832
© 2020 Kitchener Public Library, All Rights Reserved