Please do not mark this page for translation yet.
It is still being drafted, or it contains incomplete translation markup which should be fixed before marking for translation.
Extending and improving the editing tools used at Wikimedia
Edit #75,000,000 in VisualEditor was made in June 2021.
As of 2020, the visual editor is available to all users here at MediaWiki.org and on almost all Wikipedias and Wikivoyages. On most other Wikimedia projects and languages, it is available as an opt-in Beta Feature
to logged-in users. VisualEditor is only available in some namespaces, including the main namespace (where this page is), but generally not in discussion or template namespaces
The decline in new contributor growth was viewed as the single most serious challenge facing the Wikimedia movement. VisualEditor was built with the goal of removing avoidable technical impediments associated with Wikimedia's editing interface, as a necessary pre-condition for increasing the number of Wikimedia contributors. Subsequent research found no measurable gains
over wikitext for new contributors.
- Some level of exploration was done in 2010 by the Wikipedia Usability Initiative.
- The 2011 product whitepaper published by the Wikimedia Foundation's strategic product team identified rich-text editing as one of the "Great Movement Projects". Work subsequently started in May 2011.
- The 2011–2012 Wikimedia annual plan, released July 2011, states a goal for VisualEditor: "First opt-in user-facing production usage by December 2011, and first small wiki default deployment by June 2012".
- The 2012–2013 Engineering Goals document sets a timeline for VisualEditor's development and deployment up to the end of June 2013.
- The 2013–2014 Engineering Goals document lists the goals for that year.
- VisualEditor was deployed to most users at most Wikimedia projects by the end of 2015. See VisualEditor/Rollouts for a list.
Enabling VisualEditor by default for all users or for all logged-in users can be requested by contacting the Editing team's product manager.
VisualEditor is a standalone program that can be run without MediaWiki, Parsoid, or Node.js
Here are some helpful links:
You can speak with us in our chat channel, #mediawiki-visualeditor connect
For more information on VisualEditor and its design process, see these directory pages:
Last edited on 9 January 2022, at 16:36
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.