Get a library card
To be eligible for a standard library card you must live in Australia and supply an Australian residential address.
A library card allows you to:
- Request collection items for use onsite in our reading rooms
- Access a select range of licensed electronic resources from offsite
You don't need a library card to:
- You will be asked to show your Library card when collecting requested material. Library staff will only hand out material to the person whose name matches that on the request callslip.
- We are a reference library - you can use collection items in our reading rooms but not take material home
- Cards are valid for two years but can be renewed
- International visitors may apply for a temporary onsite library card when visiting the National Library in person
Need to update your library card?
You can change your details or renew your library card by visiting our renewals page