Visiting our museums and zoo Admission is free of charge at all museums and the zoo. The Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum is free of charge through October 31, 2021.
As you plan your visit, please remember to review government travel guidelines or restrictions.
Note: In November, the historic Arts and Industries Building will open to the public for the first time since 2004 with a new exhibition, FUTURES, in honor of the Smithsonian’s 175th anniversary.
Keeping Us All Safe
As the Smithsonian reopens, safety comes first. We’re putting new safety measures in place to protect the health of our visitors, staff, volunteers, and collections based on guidance from the CDC and local governments:
- All visitors ages 2 and over are required to wear face coverings indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- We’re providing hand-sanitizing stations for visitors throughout our facilities and conducting more frequent and enhanced cleaning.
- We’re recommending that visitors maintain a safe social distance between households or groups.
- We’ve installed protective safety shields at bag-check screening stations and registers.
- We’re evaluating our exhibits, interactives, and indoor spaces on a case-by-case basis. Some of these features may be closed or operate at limited capacity.
- Our staff will stay home when sick, wear face coverings, practice social distancing, and wash hands and practice good hygiene.
COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that is believed to mainly spread from person-to-person contact. The Smithsonian is doing its part to mitigate transmission intensity, and we ask you, our visitors, to do the same and help us reduce the spread of COVID-19. You must follow all posted instructions while visiting the Smithsonian, including instructions about wearing face coverings and social distancing. Despite our best efforts, the risk of contracting COVID-19 could increase by visiting the Smithsonian. By visiting the Smithsonian, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
The Smithsonian reserves the right to modify its hours of operations, capacity, or visitor guidelines as circumstances require and to deny entry or access to any person who fails to follow these guidelines or whose conduct puts Smithsonian staff, visitors, or property at risk.