Limited In-Library Browsing and Holds Pick Up: Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm | Sat: 9am - 5pm | Sun: 12pm - 5pm
Email and Phone Reference Service Hours: Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm | Sat: 9am - 5pm | Sun: 12pm - 5pm
About the Library
The library is chartered to serve the residents of the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School District (pop. 45,663). It is governed by a five-member board elected by district residents. Funds to operate the library come primarily from school district property taxes, and district residents must vote upon increases in local tax support.
The current 58,626 square foot building, which opened in 1995, is located on 1.92 acres in downtown Saratoga Springs one block east of Broadway between Henry and Putnam Streets.
Delivering resources and experiences that engage, entertain, educate, and empower our entire community.
Our vision is a resilient community empowered by collaboration, engagement and learning.
Saratoga Springs Public Library values:
- Sustainability: Practicing and promoting environmental stewardship, economic feasibility and social equity through engagement, education, action and transparency.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Celebrating differences and welcoming all into a safe and nurturing environment.
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Leveraging resources and offering more integrated services within the Library and across the community.
- Community: Enabling connections, promoting civic engagement and improving the quality of life.
- Accessibility: Protecting intellectual freedom and personal privacy while offering universal access to collections, services, programs and knowledge both within and beyond the building.
- Learning: Empowering life-long learning and all forms of literacy.
- Devotion: Visibly demonstrating a love of learning, sharing and cultivating meaningful relationships in all we do.
- Innovation: Encouraging creativity and adapting to emerging needs in forward-thinking ways.
Some Library Facts:
- Total Holdings: 199,994 as of June 2021.
- Staff: 97 people as of June 2021
- Volunteers: Approximately 45 volunteers donated around 2,700 hours of their time in various capacities for the library in 2016.
- Total Loans: 849,417 items were borrowed in 2016.
- Reference Questions: More than 58,000 questions were handled at our librarian service desks in 2016.
- Registered Borrowers: 46,183
- Library Programs: More than 33,500 people attended over 1,800 library programs for all ages in 2016.
- Public Meeting Room Use: There were 973 meetings of area nonprofit groups in our three library meeting rooms in 2016.
- Visits To The Library: There were nearly 472,000 visits from people to the library in 2016.
- Public Computing: More than 111,000 people used library computers and wireless services in 2016.
About Our Building
Many custom pieces of furniture were made by local cabinetmaker Hal Bigelow of Quaker Springs, NY.
- Groundbreaking: September 1993
- Opening: August 1995
- Dedication: October 1995