Friday, September 24, 2021: Staff Development Day - LIBRARY CLOSED
Current Library Hours: Mon, Wed, Fri: 9am - 6pm | Tue, Thu: 9am - 9pm | Sat: 9am - 5pm | Sun: 12pm - 5pm
Public Meeting Room Guidelines
Article six of the American Library Association Bill of Rights, which has been endorsed by the Saratoga Springs Public Library, reads as follows:
Libraries which make exhibit space and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
The Saratoga Springs Public Library maintains three meeting rooms which may be used by not-for-profit community groups and agencies. The meeting rooms are not available for individuals. Meeting room use is subject to the following guidelines approved by the library board:
- Rooms are available to groups with headquarters in, or that provide substantial services to the citizens of, the Saratoga Springs Enlarged City School District.
- Rooms may be used for educational, cultural, informational or governmental/civic activities and may include public lectures, panel discussions, workshops and other similar functions.
- All meetings and programs shall be free and open to the public - no admission may be charged or donations requested at the door. Requiring charges for supplies, materials, handouts, study books, etc., is likewise prohibited.
- Except for fundraising events sponsored by the library, Friends of the Library or other organizations affiliated with the library, rooms may not be used for fund-raisers such as garage sales, bake sales, etc. It is permissible for authors and performers to sign and sell materials following a library-sponsored performance or presentation.
- Public meeting room use does not constitute library endorsement of the beliefs or ideas expressed by organizations or individuals using the space. Meetings should not be publicized in a manner that suggests library sponsorship or affiliation.
- The library's meeting rooms are not available for private social functions such as weddings, birthday or anniversary parties, or for individual use.
- Meeting rooms may not be used for commercial and/or for profit purposes. This includes such programs as investment seminars, sales/service demonstrations, demonstrations by private for-profit health care practitioners, etc.
- The library reserves the right to cancel a reservation for library purposes.
- All groups using the H. Dutcher Community Room are responsible for setting up and taking down their own tables and chairs. Please allow time for these tasks.
- All groups are responsible for any damage caused to library property during meeting room use.
- All groups are responsible for leaving meeting rooms in a clean and orderly condition.
- When scheduled for use by minors, an adult supervisor must be present in the meeting room at all times.
- No alcoholic beverages may be consumed on library property.
- No smoking is allowed on library premises.
- The library encourages use of meeting rooms for diverse events and groups and seeks to give all eligible organizations an opportunity to use our services. For these reasons, no group may reserve a room more than 6 months in advance. All groups are encouraged to find other facilities for regularly scheduled meetings when possible. For daytime use, Monday through Thursday 9-5 and Friday 9-6, an organization may schedule rooms up to 24 times in a 12 month period. An organization may reserve rooms for evening and weekend use up to 12 times in a 12 month period.
- Bookings must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Bookings must be made for groups of no fewer than five people. Meetings must begin during library hours and be completed no later than 10 minutes before the library closes. On rare occasions, administrative approval may be granted for meetings to begin before the library opens or end after the library closes for a fee of $50.00 per hour or fraction thereof.
- Neither the name nor address of the Saratoga Springs Public Library may be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization. Publicity for events in the library should clearly identify the sponsoring organization. Telephone inquiries should be made to the sponsoring organization.
- The two smaller rooms, the Susman Room and the Glasby Room, are available on a walk-in basis if they have not been scheduled in advance. Sign up is through the Children's Room.
Revised: September, 2011
Live Chat: Ask Us!