Italy's news in English
Italian resident with UK passport
Ad type:
Date added:21 June 2021
Hi there.
Can anyone clear up some confusion. I am a resident in Milan and need to return to the UK for a fortnight. My concern is getting back into Italy after my trip.
I don’t have the Carta di Soggiorno or Carta d’identita yet and was told I didn’t need a Permesso di Soggiorno since I have my residency. I have applied for the Attestazione di Soggiorno but not sure whether that will help.
At the Anagrafe I was told proof of residency would be enough to reenter the country by one employer, another told me I needed the Attestazione di Soggiorno and another Permesso di Soggiorno.
Has anybody had problems re-entering italy from the UK and what documents will ensure I can get back in as I don’t want to take any chances.
Many thanks
Mark K
« Back to Noticeboard
Member comments
  1. The Attestazione di Soggiorno is sufficient to demonstrate your rights, I used mine to re-enter Italy (Torino) a month ago with no problems, with my UK passport.
    All official documentation relating to the Carta di Soggiorno confirms that it is optional, however this may not be known at all levels of administration. It is also more easily recognised by other EU nations, if you take a connecting flight for instance, due to it’s standard format with other immigration cards. In other words a nice-to-have, but not mandatory.
    UK nationals resident in Italy before the 31/12/2020 do not require, nor can they obtain, a Permesso di Soggiorno.
    Thanks so much Robert. This is really helpful and much appreciated.
    No problem, safe travels
    If it helps, I found the following Facebook group very helpful in resolving similar issues:
  2. janb********************  -  5 August 2021 at 11:45 CEST
    Can anyone tell me how long I can be absent from Italy before my residency may be revoked under the rules for British expats as a result of Brexit? I need to return to the UK in October to stay with an unwell, elderly relative for up to 6 months. Thank you.
    Janette Bayliss
  3. shirleymcarr  -  10 August 2021 at 09:31 CEST
    I hold an Irish passport, my husband has a UK passport. He works, remotely, and wishes to maintain UK tax status .( I am retired). We are confused about how long we can stay in our leased Italian property in a 12 month period. When does the timing begin? And do we need to apply for residency permits? Advice would be appreciated!
    Shirley Carr
Become a Member to leave a comment.Or login here.
Shipping Automobiles
Mini self sufficient Farm in Panarea
Driving in Italy as a resident
Swimming Pool Maintanance Company Chianni / Pontedera
Your Italian Breakthrough – free new course
View all notices
Post a new notice
The Local Europe AB
Vasagatan 10
111 20 Stockholm