ADVERTISEMENT
Subscribe Now
WORLD
Saudi Arabia to hold elections next month after year and a half delay
Tue., March 22, 2011timer1 min. read
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA—Saudi Arabia announced Tuesday it will hold municipal elections next month after a delay of a year and a half that had angered rights activists.
In a setback to reform advocates, the voting on April 23 will not be open to women.
The kingdom held its first municipal elections in 2005, the first elections ever held under the absolute monarchy. The councils have little power, but many Saudis jumped at the chance for even a small voice in politics and saw the elections as a sign the conservative kingdom was ushering in a new era of reform. Half the seats are elected while the rest are appointed.
The second such elections had been scheduled for Oct. 31, 2009, but the government delayed them, saying it needed time to expand the electorate and study the possibility of allowing women to vote. Rights activists were skeptical of the explanation and called the delay a setback to their push to open the country’s politics to the people.
In January, a group of Saudi activists launched a campaign on social networking websites to push the kingdom to allow women to vote and run in the municipal elections.
But the Ministry of Municipal and Rural affairs, which is in charge of the elections, said last week that women will not vote this year because of the kingdom’s social customs.
Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, follows deeply conservative social traditions and adheres closely to a strict version of Islam. Despite attempts by King Abdullah to push through some social reforms, women still cannot drive and the sexes are segregated in public.
The announcement of a new election date by electoral commission director Abdul-Rahman al-Dahmash coincided with rumblings of dissent in Saudi Arabia stemming from the wave of political unrest in the Arab world. King Abdullah pledged roughly $93 billion in financial support measures for Saudis in an attempt to quiet the discontent.
SHARE:
REPORT AN ERROR
JOURNALISTIC STANDARDS
ABOUT
THE STAR
ADVERTISEMENT
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN...
GTA
On the shores of Georgian Bay, an Ontario boom town puts a sudden stop to development. Why? It says it’s running out of water
May. 02, 2021
WATERLOO REGION
People who got AstraZeneca vaccine may have advantage: Waterloo expert
1 day ago
RELATIONSHIPSADVICE
How can women cope without sex during lockdown? Ask Ellie
11 hrs ago
STAR EXCLUSIVE
‘Damage control’: Internal emails show how Ontario officials reacted when class sizes were criticized by teacher
May. 03, 2021
More from The Star & Partners
More News
NEWS
VIDEO: Pro-Palestine rally in downtown Milton draws hundreds of people
GTA
Toronto police perform daring rescue for person in crisis
NEWS
UPDATE: Man missing for more than a year found: Toronto police
CRIME
Retired assistant dean at Oshawa Christian school accused of sexually assaulting minor
NEWS
Halton police aware of protest in downtown Milton Friday night regarding escalating violence in Palestine
Top Stories
STAR EXCLUSIVE
The Harper Conservatives say they sought an investigation into Canada’s top soldier. But the man they say they asked has no recollection
FEDERAL POLITICS
The inside story of Justin Trudeau’s ‘one-dose summer’ controversy
TORSTAR EXCLUSIVE
A ‘mess top to bottom:’ An inside look at the allegations consuming Brampton’s city hall
WORLD
Israeli strike kills at least 10 in Gaza refugee camp; another strike hits building with AP, other media
UNITED STATES
Media demand Israel explain destruction of news offices
LOCAL GUIDEMORE BUSINESSVIEW ADS
About
Contact Us
Feedback
Privacy PolicyTerms of useAccessibility
© Copyright Toronto Star Newspapers Ltd. 1996 - 2021
The Toronto Star and thestar.com, each property of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited, One Yonge Street, 4th floor, Toronto, ON, M5E 1E6
81 Gaston-DumoulinBlainville, QC J7C 6B4(450) 433-8538WebsiteOpen Facebook in a new tabOpen Twitter in a new tabSHARESend in Email App