Space
Debris from Chinese space rocket booster lands in Indian Ocean near Maldives, China reports
Error: Try reloading
While not releasing the exact site, Chinese state media said May 9 that remnants of the country’s biggest rocket had landed in the ocean west of the Maldives. (Reuters)
ByTimothy Bella
and 
Gerry Shih
 
May 9, 2021 at 7:15 a.m. EDT
Parts from a Chinese Long March rocket fell into the Indian Ocean near the Maldives, China’s Manned Space Engineering Office reported late Saturday night, ending days of international speculation over whether plummeting rocket debris might be scattered over a populated area.
Support our journalism. Subscribe today.
There were no immediate reports of damage from falling debris.
Videos on social media showed the 22-ton Long March 5B, which had been drifting uncontrolled in low orbit for days, blazing a trail of light over the Arabian Peninsula as it burned up during descent. The Chinese agency said it reentered the Earth’s atmosphere at 10:24 p.m. Eastern time before finally landing at 72.47 degrees east and 2.65 degrees north, a location in the ocean southwest of the Maldivian capital Malé.
Story continues below advertisement
“The vast majority of components was ablated and destroyed during reentry into the atmosphere,” the Chinese agency said.
The Space-Track project said in a tweet: “Everyone else following the #LongMarch5B reentry can relax. The rocket is down.”
At around 100 feet tall and weighing about 22 metric tons, the rocket stage is one of the largest objects to ever reenter the Earth’s atmosphere on an uncontrolled trajectory.
The rocket’s reentry had prompted international concern about where it might land. Scientists said the risk to humans was astronomically low, but it was not impossible for it to land in a populated area.
The Long March 5B rocket carrying the first module of the Tianhe space station lifts off from the Wenchang Space Launch Center in southern China's Hainan province on April 29. (AFP/Getty Images)
In a statement Sunday, NASA Administrator Bill Nelson criticized China for “failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris” and called on space-faring nations to minimize the risk to humans and properties with their space missions.
Story continues below advertisement
Before Sunday, the European Space Agency had predicted a “risk zone” that encompassed much of the world, including nearly all of the Americas, all of Africa and Australia, parts of Asia and European countries such as Italy and Greece.
The Pentagon is tracking a Chinese rocket booster as it falls back to Earth
China has been criticized for its handling of the rocket booster, which was launched into space on April 29 to ferry the first module of the Tianhe space station. China did not design the mission so the used booster would have a controlled reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere over a predetermined remote area or ocean.
Astrophysicists described China’s decision as potentially hazardous corner-cutting. “There’s clearly a significant chance that it’s going to come down on land,” Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, told CNN on Saturday.
Story continues below advertisement
China’s state media, however, has reacted angrily to the international scrutiny, saying its launch was being unfairly maligned. State media slammed U.S. media outlets for covering China’s “out-of-control space junk,” in contrast with a recent SpaceX rocket that also left parts falling into farmland in the western United States.
China says out-of-control space rocket booster probably won’t cause any harm
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin defended China’s recent mission design as “standard international practice,” saying at a news conference this week that “China is always committed to the peaceful use of outer space,” according to state media.
The size of the Long March rocket made its reentry more unpredictable than others. Most satellites and other man-made objects are small enough to burn up in the atmosphere. But the Long March booster is much larger, which raised concern that pieces could survive and hit the ground.
Story continues below advertisement
The rocket’s tumbling motion as it passed through the mesosphere, an outer layer of the Earth’s atmosphere, had also made calculations of its speed tricky to project.
Space has been a point of national pride for China, which is expected to run the only operational space station after the retirement of the International Space Station in the next four years. The country, which has spoken of putting people back on the moon, has completed a flurry of successful lunar and Mars missions in recent years.
But China’s burgeoning space program has contributed to the growing problem of space debris. The Secure World Foundation, a think tank, said that China in 2007 “created a cloud of more than 3,000 pieces of space debris” after the country shot down a dead satellite with a missile.
Story continues below advertisement
During the first flight of the Long March 5B rocket last year, the booster passed over populated portions of Earth before pieces of debris landed in Africa. Jim Bridenstine, the NASA administrator at the time, slammed the Chinese space agency for the booster’s return, saying the event “could have been extremely dangerous.”
Matthew Cappucci and Christian Davenport contributed to this report.
Read more:
China says out-of-control space rocket booster probably won’t cause any harm
The Pentagon is tracking a Chinese rocket booster as it falls back to Earth
Timothy Bella is a staff writer and editor for the General Assignment team, focusing on national news. His work has appeared in outlets such as Esquire, the Atlantic, New York magazine and the Undefeated.
Twitter
Gerry Shih is the India Bureau Chief for the Washington Post, covering India and neighboring countries.
Twitter
MORE FROM THE POST
Russian thruster misfire led to a ‘tug of war’ at the International Space Station as crew sought to regain control
July 30, 2021
How the long-dead public-television painter Bob Ross became a streaming phenomenon (and kicked up plenty of dirt in the process)
July 30, 2021
Maricopa County defies state subpoena seeking to expand GOP ballot review, calling it an ‘adventure in never-never land’
August 2, 2021
In 9.80 seconds, a broad-shouldered, baldheaded Italian man born in Texas shocked the world
August 1, 2021
Airbnb, other vacation rental companies face renewed pressure over home elevators
Today at 5:00 a.m. EDT
MOST READ SPACE
1Review
You’re going to be asked to prove your vaccination status. Here’s how to do it.
2
Boeing’s Starliner launch is delayed, again
3
College athletes are finally allowed to profit off their own images. So, of course, they’re turning to Cameo.
4
Amazon union election results should be scrapped over improprieties, NLRB officer recommends
5
Google and Apple warn delta variant could prove disruptive

Today's Headlines
The most important news stories of the day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning.
washingtonpost.com
© 1996-2021 The Washington Post
Contact the Newsroom
Contact Customer Care
Request a Correction
Send a News Tip
Report a Vulnerability
Download the Washington Post App
Policies & Standards
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Print Products Terms of Sale
Digital Products Terms of Sale
Submissions & Discussion Policy
RSS Terms of Service
Ad Choices
Skip to main contentDemocracy Dies in DarknessGet one year for $29
TechConsumer Tech Future of Transportation Innovations Internet Culture Space Tech Policy Video Gaming