This cross-industry self-regulatory initiative was developed by leading European bodies to introduce pan-European standards to enhance transparency and user control for Interested-based advertising. This type of advertising increasingly helps to support the content, services and applications that internet users can enjoy, often at little or no cost.
You can download a copy of the European Industry Self-Regulatory Framework for Data-Driven Advertising here.
The businesses listed in this document and on this page are all committed to this initiative.
The Framework is part of a broader Best Practice Recommendation by the European Advertising Standards Alliance (EASA), a copy of which can be found here.
These initiatives are based upon seven key principles:
1. Notice - transparency about data collection and use practices associated with behavioural advertising, providing consumers with clear, prominent and contextual notice through multiple mechanisms, including an icon in or around advertisements linked to further information and control mechanisms.
2. User choice - greater consumer control over behavioural advertising.
3. Data security - appropriate data security and retention of data collected and used for behavioural advertising purposes.
4. Sensitive segmentation - limitations on the creation of 'interest segments' to specifically target children and on the collection of sensitive personal data collected and used for behavioural advertising.
5. Education - for consumers and businesses about behavioural advertising and the self-regulatory Framework.
6. Compliance and enforcement - mechanisms to ensure the effectiveness of the Framework, including a trading seal to be granted to compliant businesses once independently audited and which demonstrates to other businesses that the holder adheres to the obligations under the Framework.
7. Review - regular review of the Framework to ensure it evolves with developing technology and business practices.
If you are a business that is looking to know more please contact European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) at www.edaa.eu. If you have any feedback on this site please use the relevant mail addresses on each separate version of this website.
Copyright © 2009 - 2021 EDAA