Thank you for your interest in Freedom House’s work championing democracy. This page answers some of the most frequently asked questions Freedom House receives regarding the use of Freedom House content.
Freedom House content includes:
- Reports – Annual, special
E.g. Freedom in the World, Freedom on the Net, Freedom and the Media, Nations in Transit
- Briefs – Policy, analytical
- Press releases
- Blog posts
- Graphics – Maps, charts, infographics, GIFs
- Printed material – Books, reports, maps, brochures, factsheets
E.g. Freedom in the World 2019 report cover artwork
- Videos – Recorded, livestreams
- Audio recordings
- Data files
- Freedom House name, logo, and other trademarks
- Other images and text found in Freedom House publications and on the Freedom House website
Do I need to obtain permission to use or republish Freedom House content?
- You do not need to request permission to share Freedom House content online.
- Limited use of Freedom House content for non-commercial purposes is permitted, so long as you include the proper citation to Freedom House. Click here to see how to cite Freedom House.
- All uses of Freedom House content for commercial purposes should be formally approved by Freedom House prior to publication.
How do I obtain permission to use or republish Freedom House content? Do I have to pay to use Freedom House content?
- If you plan on using Freedom House content for commercial purposes, you should first obtain permission from Freedom House.
- If you plan on using Freedom House content for non-commercial purposes, you are free to do so, as long as you correctly cite Freedom House. Click here to see how to cite Freedom House.
- You do not have to request permission or make a donation if your use of Freedom House content falls under Fair Use. Visit Copyright.gov to learn more about Fair Use.
How do I cite/credit Freedom House content?
- Citations will vary based on the style guide you are using. Always include the author, title of the work, copyright notice and publication date.
See the latest editions of the MLA
, or Chicago
styles for more information.
- Authors are typically listed on the front cover page of the work, or near the top of the web page where the content is available. If the author is unknown, “Freedom House” can take the place of the author in the citation. See our experts page for more information about Freedom House staff.
- Publication dates can be found on the front or back cover page of the work, or on the web page where the content is available.
I want to use or republish Freedom House content for commercial use, but I cannot make a donation to Freedom House. What do I do?
Freedom House encourages those seeking permission to use its content to make a donation to help support our work championing democracy. If you are unable to make a donation at this time, please indicate this in your initial permission request email, and we will work with you to try to reach a solution.
I am able to make a donation to Freedom House, but I cannot make it online through Freedom House’s Click & Pledge donation page. Is there another way I can make a donation?
Donations can be made online through our Click & Pledge donation page
, or via wire transfer. Indicate in your initial permission request email how you intend to make the donation to Freedom House. We will assist you in the next steps to making your wire transfer donation.
I need access to Freedom House’s tax information for my donation. Where can I find that?
Upon request, Freedom House can send you a completed W-9 form. Please indicate in your initial permission request email that you need this documentation to complete your donation.
My company requires me to obtain a written consent letter for licensing. Can Freedom House send me one? My deadline is fast approaching. How can I have my permission request fulfilled ASAP?
Please have patience during the permission request process. Due to finite resources and the large volume of emails Freedom House receives, we are unable to immediately respond to every permission request submitted. We will fulfill requests as timely as possible.
I’m a teacher/instructor/professor. Can I use Freedom House content in my lesson materials?
Educators may use Freedom House content in their class materials, as long as it is for non-commercial purposes. Please include a citation for the use of Freedom House content. Click here
to see how to properly cite Freedom House.
I’m a teacher/instructor/professor. Where can I get a Freedom in the World map or printed report for my classroom? I need help with my research, assignment, or project. Can Freedom House help?
Due to finite resources and the large volume of emails Freedom House receives, we are unable to assist users in locating specific Freedom House content or researching specific countries. Please search our website or other academic databases to find the information you are looking for.
If your inquiry does not relate to obtaining permission to use or republish Freedom House content, please visit Freedom House’s “Contact” page.
Be the first to know what's happening.
Join the Freedom House monthly newsletter